Designing blended learning for the workplace
A learning platform or a LMS has to fit into a complete design for learning where it has to serve its purpose. In designing a blended learning solution the choice of the media is one of the last steps to be taken. Clive Shepherd, Learning Technologist, has a clear and balanced view on blended Learning. The following series of five videos offers a complete and well-structured lecture on key questions for designing blended learning specifically aimed at the workplace.
Good stuff for anyone involved in blended learning!
Foundations - Blended learning - part 1
- What's the case for blended learning?
- What's so new about the idea of blended learning?
- Isn't blended learning just a euphemism for e-learning?
- Aren't blended solutions just another way of bundling up the same old formal learning approaches?
- When is blended learning appropriate?
- So, is blended learning always the right option?
- There's some disagreement about what the term 'blended learning' actually means. How do you define it?
Analyzing the situation - Blended learning - part 2
- How should someone set about designing a blended solution?
- What impact does the learning requirement have on your design decisions?
- What audience characteristics have the biggest impact on your design?
- What difference do the constraints and opportunities make to your design decisions?
- What's your next step once you've analyzed the situation?
- How do you begin deciding which methods to use?
- How do the various social contexts for learning compare?
- What options do you have in terms of an overall learning strategy?
- How do social contexts and learning strategies interact?
- Why start with methods rather than technologies for learning?
- What choices do you have when it comes to delivering your strategy?
- Why would you want to conduct a learning activity on a face-to-face basis?
- What value do offline media have in an online world?
- Surely online delivery is fast becoming your default choice?
- What about the telephone? What value can that have for learning?
- So our last consideration has been media. Why is that?
In conclusion - Blended learning - part 5
- How would you summarize the blended learning design process?
- What guarantee is there that you'll end up with a solution that is both effective and efficient?
Video's copyright of Clive Shepherd