Help: Creating groups, inviting, archiving and other information for managers
What type of groupspaces are there?
A LearningStone Workspace can be seen as a building and the groupspaces as the rooms. These rooms can be used for training, communities, one-on-one coaching or group coaching and individual eLearning. Each groupspace has members and functions but the type of groupspace determines if the members see each other or not and which functionalities can be turned on.
1. The managers groupspace contain the workspace administrator and the workspace managers who both can create and manager groupspaces without being a member of one.
2. Collaborative Groupspaces are great for group training, learning communities, workshops, and any other use where members should see each other and use the collaborative features like dialogues, a wall, commenting on documents and messaging. Collaborative Groupspaces also offer one-on-one communication with a coach like the Personals Folder in the Docs or the Personal Dialogues.
3. Solo Groupspaces are collections of individual members called “Solo Members”. Though they are in a groupspace together, they are there to learn on their own or have personal dialogues or share personal documents with a coach or trainer. In short: solo-groupspaces are great for self-paced eLearning and one-on-one e-coaching. The Solo-members cannot collaborate with- or see other members.
How do I upgrade, downgrade or change my credit card number or other details?
If you are a workspace administrator, you can up or downgrade anytime. Simply go to Settings > Workspace Settings > Edit Account and plan. If you need to change a credit card number, simply go through the order and in the last step (review subscription), you can click on “Change Credit Card”.
What types of managers are there?
A LearningStone workspace contains “groupspaces” or groups. There are several types of managers.
Groupspace managers: in each groupspace, there can be one or more managers. They can edit the course timelines, edit settings, receive notifications if new member asks to join and can look at the chat log, add or remove members, see removed posts on the wall etc.
Coaches: have the same rights as a groupspace manager but do not receive the notifications about new members coach can be a groupspace manager as well but doesn’t need to be.
Workspace managers: The members of the managers groupspace that are managers are called workspace managers, they can look at- and manage any groupspace in the workspace without having to be a member. They can also share files, add calendar events and start discussions for the whole workspace.
Workspace administrators: the managers groupspace has its own manager called the workspace administrator.
The workspace administrator can:
- do anything a workspace manager can do;
- add or remove workspace managers in the managers groupspace;
- add another workspace administrator;
- upgrade the workspace (see Workspace Settings > Edit account details)
How do I become a manager?
The person who starts a groupspace is automatically a “groupspace manager”. If the groupspace already exists, then you can ask the existing manager to give you the role of manager too.
The person who creates a workspace automatically becomes the workspace “administrator” and can add “groupspace managers” or another administrator.
There must always be at least one groupspace manager in a groupspace and at least one administrator in a workspace. There doesn’t have to be a workspace manager.
How do I turn someone into a groupspace manager?
Once someone is a member (any role), a groupspace manager can move that person into the manager-area. The person will stay a member but will then also be a groupspace manager.
If you want someone to become a workspace manager or administrator, you can do this on the “Organize members” page in the managers groupspace.
How do I find out who the managers are?
Manager: go to the groupspace and click on “Organize members”. The managers are shown on the right. Or go to the “People” tab.
Workspace managers and administrators: if you are allowed to, you can look under “Organize members” in the managers groupspace. Otherwise, you can click on the workspace tab (next to the groupspaces) and look it up there.
How do I create a new groupspace or copy an existing one?
You always create a new groupspace. If you want to copy a groupspace, you first create a new one and then copy an existing course timeline with all connected content and forms into it.
1. Go to your Workspace homepage (click on the logo or workspace name on the left).
2. Click on the link “Catalog”.
3. Click on the button “Create a groupspace in ...” at the bottom of the list.
The groupspace will be created with a short test-course timeline. Now you need to edit this into new content or you can copy a course timeline out of an old groupspace like this.
4. Click on Settings > Course timelines > Open.
5. Choose “Create or copy a new course timeline”.
6. In the box below you’ll see the name of your workspace. Click on it, then on the groupspace containing the existing course timeline and then choose “Copy” (You only see non-archived groupspaces that you are a manager of).
7. Your course timeline will be added to the list of course timelines within the course timeline library.
Visit the course timeline library by opening the “More” dropdown menu in the upper right corner of the timeline. Set your course timeline to default (it will be the first to show) and uncheck the test-course timeline.
Click on the name of the groupspace in the menu on the left.
. The copied course timeline can be edited by clicking on the 3-dots icon. If you need to change the name of the course timeline, click on “Course Timeline settings” once you have opened it in the editor.
How do I add members to a groupspace effectively?
First, you need to create a groupspace. You do this with the buttons at the bottom of the groupspace list in the catalog.
Once you’ve got that done, you need to get the groupspace going by inviting people. Take the following steps
1. Tell people what you are going to do. If possible, just tell people personally and ask them to respond quickly or otherwise send them an email.
2. Pick one of the methods below for adding or inviting members.
3. Check if everybody has responded. If not – take the effort to remind them. There will always be a few latecomers that need some extra attention.
This might be the email that you send for a collaborative groupspace.
You have signup for….
We are going to use LearningStone for communication. LearningStone is an online tool that is especially suitable for safe and easy communication and learning.
You will receive an invitationl from LearningStone asking you to sign up (or login if you’re already use LearningStone).
Please accept the invitation as soon as possible – it only takes a minute - and after that we can post messages, send mail via LearningStone, store documents, upload pictures, share the calendar etc.
See you on LearningStone!
How do I add members to a groupspace?
A groupspace manager can add members directly and automatically email an invitation or invite them by sending an email containing a link. Click on “Invite” in the menu on the left side of the screen for more information.
Choose “Add one member” or “Add many members” if you know name and e-mail address as you will be able to send messages to the groupspace immediately after adding them, even if they have not finished registering.
Every time you send a message, the footer of the mail will include a reminder to accept the invitation.
Which method should I use to add people to a groupspace?
If you (the manager) have names, e-mail addresses and you know who is who, then it’s best to go straight to Invite and choose “Add Many Members”. By doing this, you can start mailing the members straight away and members can register when they get around to it.
If you only have e-mail addresses, you can send out a special signup link. In this case, the members cannot receive mail from the groupspace until they have registered or logged in and until the groupspace manager get an email and has accepted them by moving them to the correct role (member, coachee etc.) in the “Organize Members” screen.
If you don’t have the e-mail addresses either, you can click on the Invite link and then print an invitation containing an invite code and simply hand it out. In this case you will get an e-mail when the user is ready to be accepted.
How do I name and rename a groupspace?
When you start a new groupspace, you decide on a name. Try and use a name that fits in with the rest of the groupspaces. Add a label like “2018-2019”, or “for testing only” or something that will make it easier to understand which groupspace it is.
When you need to change the name, go to Settings > General.
How do I remove a groupspace? (Archiving or deleting)
Under groupspace settings, you will find a section called “Archiving or delete”.
If you archive a groupspace, you will add it to a list “Archive” – available for all users. You’ll see it appear under the list of groupspaces.
An archived groupspace is a frozen groupspace: nothing is thrown away but all functions are switched to read only except for “Messages” making it possible find and send message to old groupspace members.
Only Workspace-managers can permanently delete a groupspace.
How do I move members from one groupspace to another?
If you set up a new groupspace, it’s easy to copy or move members of an old groupspace into it.
Go to the “Organize members” page of the old groupspace and click on “Move members”.
Now select the members you want to move, choose the destination and click on “Move” or “Copy”. Done!
When are notifications sent out?
A notification is an email that is sent out when something changes, is added or occurs in the groups, so that you don’t have to keep checking online. Any member can change the frequency of notifications (per groupspace) in his or her preferences.
Notifications are sent out when:
· something is posted to the wall, a discussion, news
· a comment is posted to the wall or discussion.
· a member is invited, removed or the role is changed
· a form is filled in (turn this on in the form settings)
· the week is about to start (Saturday). An overview of calendar items is sent out.
· an event will start the next day.
There are NO automatic notifications if:
· a groupspace is added, deleted or archived.
· a course timeline or a block is added or published.
· a calendar item is added (this can be turned on by members).
· files are added to Docs or Albums (this can be turned on by members).
· files are added to Workspace Docs.
· someone signs up for a signup list in the calendar.
I don’t want to be the groupspace manager anymore.
Ask an other manager to go to “Organize members” and click on “Delete manager role”. You will still be a member unless you were the only manager.